Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Story Behind The Song: "Gettin' Juiced"

"Gettin' Juiced"

I have a love/hate relationship with this song... on the one hand, the lyrics are pretty nonsensical & bragadocious, and the song has no cohesive concept.
But on the other hand, the beat is ridiculously intricate & catchy, and there's a Ric Flair impersonation slipped into the 2nd verse.
And on the first hand again, I feel like a dick on the rare occasion when I perform it live, because I don't really stand behind most of the lyrics.
But back on the other hand, there are a lot of sections where I don't have to conform to a song structure, and I'm free to just shit-talk with whoever stuck around the club to watch the set, and Afterbirth LOVES to do this song because he can run around like an asshole and scream "Woo!" like the Nature Boy...

This is one of the first solo tracks I recorded for my "Pleased To Meat You" LP, after my old band, SCK, dissolved. At this point, I have no beef, and as far as I know, neither do they, but regardless of that, we don't really know each other anymore.

The song begins with samples of my own voice hijacked from an SCK track called "Shanked". The lyrics are about stabbing a girl with my penis until she bleeds.
I'm a classy motherfucker.

There are a few thinly veiled "fuck you's" to the guys from the old group in the first verse...

The hook in this song is a heavily processed lament about a lack of my music on fM airwaves, followed by illegal samples from an old computer game whose name escapes me.

The second verse is interesting in that it's very boastful, in a severe "i'm the shit" type of way, which a severe departure from the self loathing & depressing melodrama you've all become accustomed to.

The second "hook" consists of more samples of my own voice from an unreleased SCK track called "I'm The", which was a misguided attempt at some art-fag metaphorical shit.

The 3rd verse was originally supposed to be included on an SCK track called "Payback". I don't remember if it was ever recorded or not, but if it was, I've never heard it, and it was never released. Anyway, I had the verse laying around, and it seemed appropriate given the circumstances at the time.

After the 3rd verse, there's a little interlude where I talk about a chick's butthole. That's in there strictly to fill time... I don't like to leave empty gaps in my songs, I didn't write enough lyrics to fill the verse, and I was too lazy to write something... so I just hit record & talked about buttholes for like 2 bars.

The outro on this track is pretty much the same as the intro. Stabbing girls with my penis. Of course.

The video that appears below is some random footage from some old shows that Afterbirth synced up to the Squeaky Clean Radio Edit of the song, as if it ever got radio play.
I believe I recognize some of the footage as being recorded in The ABC Lounge in Manhattan, and some of it from Molly Blooms in Long Island, if anyone gives a shit about that.
If you look closely, you'll see guest appearances by The One & Only Joe Brown, PissFace, Toe-Dizzle & Ms. PinkCookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk some shit.